Race Day Kit Checklist

I can't think at 5 am

Especially if it's 5am on the morning of a race. I'll be too busy being stressed about the race and tired from being up later than I wanted. And The Curse of OCUP Masters 3 Races is that they are almost always the first or second race of the day, and an hour or two away from Toronto, so I have to be up at an ugly hour to get to the start on time.

Stress Removal Device: the Cat5 Case
I've discovered that the only way for me to cope is to remove the requirement for coherent thinking and get all my stuff organized and ready to go the night before. So I created a race-day checklist to simplify that. Even in my groggy morning state I can double-check it to alleviate my paranoia about forgetting something vital.

Crucial to this process is my Cat5 Cyclist Case kit bag. Highly recommended. Perfect for race day, but I actually use mine all the time to keep my gear organized. Very reasonable price, and snappy colours too.

RACE DAY CHECKLIST (download the photo for a printable version or copy & paste this to build your own)

KIT (working from the bottom up and the inside out)Shoes
Socks
Bibs
Chamois cream
Heart rate monitor
Undershirt
Jersey
Road ID
Gloves
Contact lenses
Sunglasses
Hat
Helmet
Sunscreen
Race dots (magnetic number holders. They're brilliant.)

NUTRITION
Bottles
So much better than those damned pins
Gels/chews
Water (a couple of big bottles)
Biosteel (drink mix)
Post-race food (like, real food)

PARTS
Spare tubes
Spare wheels
Pump
Hex wrench set
Trainer for warm-up

Printer friendly 4-up checklist.
BAD WEATHER
Shoe covers
knee/leg warmers
Arm warmers
Balaclava
Vest
Jacket
Rain jacket

POST RACE CLOTHES
Jeans/shorts
Socks
T-shirt
Towel
Hoodie
Hat

LOGISTICS
Directions
Course map/technical guide
First aid kit
Cash
Gas in the car
UCI License
BIKE! (don't forget the bike!)

Hope this is useful to you. It certainly helps me sleep better.


Comments

GC Leader: Favourite Post